Sunday 2 September 2007

World War I - Life At The Front

The following letter from Driver William Watts (116th Heavy Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery) was written to his parents during World War I.

" Dear Mother and Father.

Just a few lines in answer to your welcome letter and thanks for the Glamorgan free Press and other papers. I trust that you will send the same lot again as I happened to come across the address of Joby Culverhouse, so I can now drop him a line. It is Sunday today and the sun is shining grand after all the wet weather. It was very cold at----------- all snow and sleet. We do not get near so many “Jack Johnsons” dropping about us as we did at--------------, and by what I can see of it, they must be running short of ammunition. It would be a good job if they had non at all. I have just been watching our boys firing at two German aeroplanes, which managed to get away.

Dear mother, I would like to let you know where we are, but that’s not allowed, so I must wait until the war is over to tell you all. I have a german rifle, two german bayonets that I picked up at the battle of --------------. We have a game of football now and again, shells or no shells; they are not going to stop us enjoying our selves. We are playing with a couple of sacks tied up, but a sergeant in our lot has sent home for two footballs, and they will be here before Christmas. So we will have a game Christmas day, and I hope a “Jack Johnson” will not drop and call “Time” before we finish it.

Dear mother, I hope you won’t forgetto send your supply of Woodbines. I shan’t forget it when I come back. You need not send any more writing paper or P.C’s as we have a nice leather wallet of paper and P.C’s from our Major’s sister. I must now draw to a close, with best love to all.
From your loving son WILL.

P.S. Give my love to Gerald and Arthur when he comes home.

No comments: